Bienvenue,أهلا

Bienvenue,أهلا

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mentor Interview

I got a mentor interview after calling four companies. It was not easy, I had the same answer three times, “Sorry we are in high session right now, and most of our employees are busy right now.” However, “we are busy, but our manger will be happy to help a LaGuardia student.” Was finally what I was looking for. I meet Mrs. Boubssis Nabila who is the manager in LIC at Wayland, Inc. She is about 33 years old; she graduated from LaGuardia in 2006 major Accounting; also, she got her BBA in Accounting from Roosevelt University IL, Chicago.
Right now she is a CPA candidate, and she is seeking a PHD in Accounting as well. Since I choose accounting, I tried to have as much information as I could. Boubsis and I we had a lunch together, and we spent almost one hour talking about Accounting as a professional career for a mother like me and for women in general, and here is the summary of our interview
She believes that accounting is very good for someone who is seeking good money in a short time. Also, she believes that it’s not boring and not stressful career. Accounting is the number 10th in “The Best Job in 2009”. It’s one of the best jobs in North America in terms of stress level (low), compensation (high) and career placement after graduation (fast). It is easy for a new graduate to find good trainings. Boubsis said,” I found my first job one session before my graduation from Lagcc.” She had a full time training in her CEP 201 class, and the same company hired her after for a full time job.
Boubsis believes that Accounting is all about skills in addition to knowledge. It helps also to learn some skills. Accounting provides the means for organizing, summarizing and interpreting information about economic activities within companies and organizations; and I can tell from her Disk that she is very neat. Also, she said Accounting is not just all about data and numbers; Accountants play a critical and ever-changing role in processing by providing relevant information to decision-makers and by acting as advisors in its interpretation. Accountants engage in a wide variety of activities besides preparing financial statements and recording business transactions including computing costs and efficiency gains from new technologies, participating in strategies for mergers and acquisitions, quality management, developing and using information systems to track financial performance, tax strategy, and health care benefits management. Accountants are needed within business organizations to provide information to business managers and to control business operations.
In addition, she believes that there are so many job opportunities in Accounting major. Many persons with an Accounting background work in the public sector. Government accountants and auditors maintain and examine the records of government agencies and audit private businesses and individuals whose activities are subject to government regulations or taxation. Accountants can also work independently of businesses as public accountants providing management services, taxation advice and independent audit service, which lend credibility to financial and other information.
I asked her that I needed more information on the different types of accountants, needed schooling hours, and the salary range, and how I do not want to be going to school for a long time, and how my major can affect my responsibility since I have a family to care for. Which type would be the best for me? I'm interested in either, certified public accountant or a chartered accountant, is there any other type; also, I asked about the other side of accounting career- negative side-
She said that it depends on what type of accounting I go into. Typically accounting requires a 4 year college degree. If the person wishes to become a CPA that requires an additional 30 credit hours, so basically it requires a Masters degree that can usually be done in 1 year after receiving a bachelor.
Accountants for one of the Big 4 accounting firms usually make the most money. She thinks it's about 40-50K to start; it's possible to make $100K after 5-7 years. However, the hours are long and it can be very stressful especially around tax season.
If a person wishes to do accounting for the government/non profit a CPA is usually not required pay is usually less she thinks for the fed government he or she may start at about 35-40K depending on the location. However government jobs usually have better vacation/health benefits and you only work 40 hours a week.
Accounting is a safer career; it’s worth bearing in mind that accountants are in perennial short supply. Furthermore, Boubsis feels very sure that her chose to Accounting as a career is very wise decision; Accounting jobs are plentiful even in the current weak economy and the money for well trained accountants is good. Taxes, audits, bookkeeping will always need to be done. With the various financial scandals in recent years, the field has expanded.
Accounting is a very good career for people how likes numbers and cannot work under stress all time. It takes four years to have a BBA in Accounting. Accountants can make good money. However, I found out that CPA and Accounting in general do not have any credit back in my country. Morocco considers France and Canadian Accounting standards instead. Therefore, and because I want to go back to my country; or any place in North Africa, the Middle East, or Europe; any diplomat of Accounting will be fruitless.
After three years of research about accounting, I found out that BBA in Accounting or even CPA is not worth it for me, and I have to start over looking for a career that not only fit my needs but also it can be creditable back in my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment